4th – 11th September 2021
Location Greece: The Sporades Islands from Skiathos
The VISC are having “A Week of Sailing in Greece” it will be an informal flotilla event for members to focus on having a fabulous fun holiday that is well deserved after a difficult year.
This week caters for skilled and novice sailors alike – a fun and enjoyable experience of “Sailing With Friends”
We will be sailing with our friends around the Sporades Islands, starting from Skiathos and continuing around taking in Skopelos, Loutraki, Panormos, Limonari/Agnontas, Patitiri (Alonnisos), and the marine national park at Kira Panagia.
This area, apart from being a fabulous sailing destination, has been made famous as the filming area for the first ABBA: MamaMia movie. Some of the filming locations we may visit include:
Skiathos harbour and main pier was the main setting for the boat and yacht departures to the “wedding island”, where the famous “taxi race” to miss the ferry occurred and where the three fathers met on the wooden sailing yacht.
The stunning outdoor scenes of the wedding were filmed in the church of Agios Ioannis Sto Kastri in Skopelos while the interior scenes were actually shot at Agion Panton, a tiny church located in front of Panagitsa tou Pirgou at the edge of Skopelos harbor. To reach the Agios Ioannis church, visitors must climb 100 stone-carved steps, but once there, the view is magnificent.
Kastani beach is one of the best on Skopelos and is primarily known for its tranquility and beauty, with its turquoise waters and lush and verdant surroundings. Both the wooden pier and the bar in the movie do not exist anymore though the beach now has a proper beach establishment.
Glisteri was used for basic backgrounds during the movie – it was here that Sophie read her mother’s diary to her friends, for example. The small peninsula near the beach Glisteri was the point where Sophie left for her wedding ceremony.
Milia Beach – although not a filming location per se – features in the movie as well as the small Dahsia islet in the background.
The pretty harbour of Agnontas was the place where the boat in ‘Money Money Money’ was moored and Amarantos definitely merits a visit, especially for sunset.
– a holiday under sail in a relaxed atmosphere – a guided/planned sailing route with a supporting program of events and activities for all skippers and crew, yet still some time for your own personal/crew choice activities
– the priceless exchange of experience between “old hands” and “newcomers” – local coastal knowledge and exploration for all to enjoy and experience
– easy sailing for beginners, with opportunities for learning new skills
– fun challenge targets/races for seasoned charterers to “compete in company”
In short: it is a wonderful combinatio of a Greek holiday, enjoying sailing around some of the islands of the Sporades, also participating in some casually fun racing in a fun flotilla group!
The organisation and operation of this event will be handled by the experienced Sail Charter International.
The start and end location will be directly from SKIATHOS, then as described above, sailing around the Sporades islands.
You can easily get there by plane, flying direct into Skiathos International Airport.
Click HERE for Google Map.
Arrival day: Saturday 4th September 2021
– Arrive during the afternoon, check-in and settle into your yachts. There will be an evening welcome meeting and drinks — an opportunity to meet other crews, getting to know each other and starting the fun!
– Each morning a skippers’ daily briefing will be held to discuss the day ahead at sea and also to receive the passage outline/direction for our overnight stay (depending on weather and sailing conditions).
– During the evenings, there will both be some planned events, also free time for your own exploration of the beautiful places we will be stopping.
– We will return to Skiathos on Friday 10th September for check-out.
Departure day: Saturday 11th September 2021
– Disembark your yacht by 09:00 and head back to Skiathos International Airport for your return journey home.
Cheap Flight available NOW
CABIN PRICES (per person) on a SKIPPERED yacht:
(A) SHARED double cabin with ensuite private facilities
(B) SINGLE occupancy of a private double cabin with ensuite private facilities
if you do not want to share, get a cabin for private single use by adding the single supplement to the cabin cost – single supplement cost: €575
This “cabin booking” cost is per person based on full occupancy (limited availability for single cabins).
Included in your cabin booking: yacht charter costs, skipper.
For more information on this great opportunity contact: