Training for all

What makes the VISC unique is that its members come from all over the world – 19 different countries to be precise.

That does not mean that training is exclusive to club members only: Guests are more than welcome to participate. And it does not matter whether you are looking for a basic inshore license for Austrian lakes or some advanced Radio or Radar training – all the courses organized by the VISC are held in English.


Choose the type of course you need & get in touch with us

  • The BFA - Binnen License
  • Advanced Training
  • Onshore Training

As a beginner you can join the BFA-Binnen License Course. Together with the Hofbauer Sailing School, the VISC has invested a lot of time and effort to create an English version of the BFA-Binnen – the former A-Schein (renamed in 2009). With the BFA-Binnen license you are allowed to rent boats on lakes in Austria (and probably lakes in other European countries).

This course at Hofbauer Sailing School is composed of three parts – theoretical, practical and (optional) exam. Besides learning the basics of seamanship in class you are also encouraged to undergo practical sailing lessons. The course (including the reading material) and the exams are both in English.

The next English language theory course will start after April 2020. Please contact the Rear Commodore Training for any information.

The next step in Austria would be the FB1, FB2 or FB3 license, which are for coastal waters within a certain mile limitation. Instead of translating all the reading material we recommend that you follow an existing foreign sailing program (e.g.: RYA, US Sailing, CYA, FFVoile, etc.). 

For the coastal license you will have to go abroad anyway. We do have good relations with different offshore training schools and many members of the VISC prepare themselves for those trainings through respective correspondence courses. Feel free to contact us for further information.

The VISC is now working on a regular onshore program provided on ISAF (International Sailing Federation) and/or RYA (Royal Yacht Association) standards. On a yearly basis we will offer courses in:

- RYA SRC (Short Range - Certificate)

- RYA Radar

- World Sailing Approved Offshore Personal Survival

Interested RYA certified instructors are welcome to contact us for further (other) training opportunities here in Vienna or abroad. We are currently looking for an RYA First Aid Instructor coming for a weekend to Vienna.

Garda Flying Week


27 – 31 July


550 Euros
(525 Eur for early bird registrations by end of February)


Full board accomodation @ Univela Hostel in 4er rooms (single/ double rooms available for a little extra)

What it's about

If you are looking to materially improve your dinghy sailing skills consider joining the Garda Flying Week. On the spectacular and windy shores of Campione del Garda in Italy, the new Andrew Simpson Watersport Center RYA training center will provide us with trainers and boats for a week of pure fun. The boats available span from single-handed Lasers or RS-Cuba to double handed Laser-2, RS-Aero, Bahia, 49er, Wazsp etc., some of them with foiling equipment.

The program of the typical day starts in the morning with a brief on-shore theory lesson, then follows the on-water session. After a one hour break for lunch comes the afternoon on-water session and a debrief before heading for dinner. The evening program may only be relaxing on the beach or reach one of the close-by cities on the shores of Garda lake.

For more information contact me and join the dedicated WhatsApp group.

Buon Vento

Dario Ogliaroso