The BFA-Binnen course (Befähigungsausweis für Binnengewässer – License for landlocked waters) consists of 3 parts:
The theory course consists of 6 theoretical classroom-based lessons. To take part in this course you do not need any previous knowledge, nautical or sailing wise. The theory lessons always start from scratch and will gradually build up to the level of the licence. In any case you miss one or two classes, it is no problem and you should be still able to easily follow the other lectures.
When: Next theory course begins on 16 September 2019 and lasts for 6 consecutive weeks:
- Monday 16 September 2019
- Monday 23 September 2019
- Monday 30 September 2019
- Monday 7 October 2019
- Monday 14 October 2019
- Monday 21 October 2019
Venue: Classes take place in the Segelschule Hofbauer Alte Donau classroom (address: An der Oberen Alten Donau 185, Vienna). Closest metro station is Alte Donau, U1 red line.
Cost: 60 EUR for block of 10 lessons for VISC members.
Duration: From 18:30 to 21:30 with a small break. There is a vending machine on the premises where you can buy drinks and snacks.
How to sign up:
- Ensure VISC memebrship: If you are not yet VISC member, you will need to register and pay the membership fee in order to take part in the course, for instructions please see here: https://visc.at/club/membership/ – 2019 Membership fee is 20 EUR.
- Pay course fee: The course fee of 60 EUR is to be paid to the Hofbauer sailing school directly on the first day of the course. Both cash and cards are accepted.
Materials: Will be distributed to you on the first day.
Please use the link below to submit your details for registration. In case you have any quesitons or issues with registration email Anya on firstname.lastname@example.org
Practical lessons can be done independently from the theory part. They can be done before, during or after you have taken the theory course and theory exam. If you are an experienced sailor already you do not need to take the lessons before signing up for the exam. However, it might be recommendable to take at least one lesson with a local instructor in order to get to know the location as well as the usual program of an Austrian BFA practical exam.
Hofbauer offers you a package of 10 lessons of 1 hour each with a sailing teacher. They can be done individually or as a small group up to 4 people. The cost varies depending on how many persons attend the lesson. If you decide to share the lessons, each lesson has to be done in the same group.
The costs for the practical lessons are:
- 395 EUR for 1 person,
- 305 EUR per person if two persons share the trainer
- 285 EUR per person if three persons share the trainer
- 265 EUR per person if four persons share the trainer
You are strongly advised to train on your own without a coach in between those practical lessons and practice what you have learned so far. You can come to the school anytime from Monday to Sunday to rent a boat from 9:00am until sunset. Hofbauer offers you a reduced price for the boats: 4 Euro per boat and hour.
Please feel free to get in touch with Hofbauer Sailing School to arrange your lessons directly.
The exam consists of a theory and a practical part:
- the theory part is a 40 multiple choice questions test
- the practical part also includes knots
The theory and the practical part of the exam can be taken individually or at the same time, any Friday afternoon at 15:30 at Hofbauer.
- theory exam 15 EUR
- practical exam 20 EUR
- issuance of the license 30 EUR (+ a photo)